Content warning: this warning addresses a report of sexual assault. Resources are available on and off campus to provide assistance. Visit https://eeotix.usc.edu/report/confidential-and-private-resources/ for resources and support.
INCIDENT DESCRIPTION : A female student was walking eastbound on 32nd Street when the suspect approached her from behind and squeezed her buttock. As the suspect squeezed the student, she felt a wet substance. The suspect may have sprayed the student with an unknown liquid. The suspect continued riding his skateboard eastbound on Figueroa Street. Later tonight, a student exited CVS Pharmacy, on 32nd Street and Figueroa Street, and was approached by the suspect who asked the student for money. The student said no, and as she turned to walk away the suspect touched the student’s buttock.
DATE & TIME OF OCCURRENCE: 03/09/2022 3:55 p.m. – 03/09/2022 9:20 p.m.
LOCATION: Off-Campus, north of 32nd Street on the westside of Figueroa Street and on the southside of 32nd Street
REPORT NUMBER: 2200823, 2200826
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: Skateboard
SUSPECT DESCRIPTION (provided by reporting party):
|Height:||5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches|
|Weight:||160 – 170 pounds|
|Additional Description:||The suspect is described as wearing a black sweatshirt and cargo pants.|
If you are in immediate DANGER, call the Los Angeles Police Department at 911 or the USC Department of Public Safety at (213) 740-4321.
Please note that race, ethnicity, gender and/or religious affiliation are NOT considered the basis for suspicion; only behaviors are considered suspicious.
If you have information relevant to the crime(s) reflected in this alert, immediately call DPS at (213) 740-6000 for the University Park Campus (UPC), (323) 442-1000 for the Health Sciences Campus (HSC) or (213) 485-6571 for the LAPD Southwest Division.
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) issues Crime Alerts to the university community, in compliance with the Clery Act, when a criminal incident occurs within USC’s Clery geography and represents either a serious or continuing threat to the safety of students, employees and others.
The purpose of this warning is to aid in the prevention of similar crimes by alerting the community about the incident and to provide information which allows individuals to make informed decisions about their personal safety.
USC Department of Public Safety Recommendations – Fondling
- Travel in pairs or with trusted companions, especially at night or in remote areas.
- If someone is intoxicated or incapacitated, call for a taxi, rideshare or other car service, and make sure a trusted friend safely accompanies the incapacitated friend to their door.
- USC Safe Ride Program – Get a Ride: Arrange safe transportation to and from home (walking with a friend, using a ride share program such as the USC Safe Rides Program powered by Lyft).
- If you observe a crime in progress, go to a safe location and call DPS emergency for UPC at (213) 740-4321, for HSC call (323) 442-1000 or call 911 for the LAPD.
- Do not attempt to apprehend any suspects or perpetrators of crime. Your personal safety and the safety of others around you should be your primary concern.
- Be a good witness: It is important to recall what you observed and provide as many details as possible to law enforcement such as: the sex, race, age, height, hair color, clothing, tattoos, scars of any suspects and a description of the make and model of any vehicle used in the crime and its license plate if possible.