Content warning: this warning addresses a report of sexual assault. Resources are available on and off campus to provide assistance. Visithttps://eeotix.usc.edu/report/confidential-and-private-resources/for resources and support.
Incident Description: A student, who was asleep in bed, was awakened by a knock on her bedroom door. She opened the door and let the suspect in without identifying him. Shortly thereafter the male suspect entered the bedroom and began fondling the victim. The victim told the suspect to leave, and he complied. The suspect then went to another bedroom which was occupied by a male student, took some property and left.
Date & Time of Occurrence: 08/21/2022 4:45 A.M.
Location: 2300 block of Portland Street
Report Number: 2203054 (Sexual Battery), 2203055 (Burglary)
Vehicle Description: None
Suspect Description (provided by reporting party):
|Age:||25 to 30 years of age|
|Additional Description:||Black long sleeve shirt, dark pants|
If you are in immediate DANGER, call the Los Angeles Police Department at 911 or the USC Department of Public Safety at (213) 740-4321.
Please note that race, ethnicity, gender and/or religious affiliation are NOT considered the basis for suspicion; only behaviors are considered suspicious.
If you have information relevant to the crime(s) reflected in this alert, immediately call DPS at (213) 740-6000 for the University Park Campus (UPC), (323) 442-1000 for the Health Sciences Campus (HSC) or (213) 485-6571 for the LAPD Southwest Division.
The purpose of this warning is to aid in the prevention of similar crimes by alerting the community about the incident and to provide information which allows individuals to make informed decisions about their personal safety.
USC Department of Public Safety Recommendations – Fondling
- Travel in pairs or with trusted companions, especially at night or in remote areas.
- If someone is intoxicated or incapacitated, call for a taxi, rideshare or other car service, and make sure a trusted friend safely accompanies the incapacitated friend to their door.
- USC Safe Ride Program – Get a Ride: Arrange safe transportation to and from home (walking with a friend, using a ride share program such as the USC Safe Rides Program powered by Lyft).
- If you observe a crime in progress, go to a safe location and call DPS emergency for UPC at (213) 740-4321, for HSC call (323) 442-1000 or call 911 for the LAPD.
- Do not attempt to apprehend any suspects or perpetrators of crime. Your personal safety and the safety of others around you should be your primary concern.
- Be a good witness: It is important to recall what you observed and provide as many details as possible to law enforcement such as: the sex, race, age, height, hair color, clothing, tattoos, scars of any suspects and a description of the make and model of any vehicle used in the crime and its license plate if possible.